Last updated: 09/Sept/2000 - See Change Notes
What Is HWServer.DLL?
HWServer.DLL is an ActiveX DLL (automation server) designed
to extend the capabilities of the HTML Help window. Please download and try it out.
Got questions, suggestions? Contact us
- Add custom toolbar buttons to any HTML Help window. Receive
button click events via script.
- Add a Read button that launches an MS Agent Character to
speak the selected text on the page. If no text selected then read all
page text. Requires that MS
Agent, at least one Agent character and a Text-To-Speech engine be
installed. Note: Windows 2000 already has these things installed.
- Various helpful functions. Read/write INI files and
registry items from a CHM page. Extract files from a CHM and optionally run
them using windows shell.
Current version: 1.0.8
Last update: 7:15pm EST Melbourne Australia.
|HWServer installer. Installs
HWServer.dll and support files. Required to run the Example help file.
|Example help file contains
HWServer documentation and examples.
|Contains the above 2 files plus
everything you need for development.
- HWServer_inst.exe runtime installer.
- HWServer_inst.iss INNO Installer script.
- HWServer.chm examples and documentation.
- Additional files required for HTML.
- Added 4 new CHM functions:
- ValidateLink(aPath, aRoot: String): Integer;
- CHM_GetFileList(aChmPath: String): Integer;
Lists all files in a CHM file.
- ChmExtract(Path, DestFile: String): String;
Extract a file from inside a CHM. Destination either string or file.
Was producing I/O error. Fixed typo.
8-Sept-2000, HWServer.dll Ver 1.0.8
- The HW control folder can now be any name. The demo Chm now uses
"\~HWServer\" (was \helpware\). The DLL searches first and
secondary level folders in the CHM for the main control file "HWControl.INI".
Once found that folder is used as the control folder.
- Agent button now disables correctly if a Chm Topic is loaded that does not
access the HWServer.DLL. Before you could click the Agent button and nothing
- Now also includes HWScript.VBS as well as HWScript.JS. Under IE4 and above
VBS has error trapping which means we can test for HWServer.DLL COM
interface availability quickly. Before if the DLL was not available there
was a noticeable delay in loading each page. Now a pre check is done by a
- Agent Access Violation
If an application opens help via the HH API, and that help is using HWServer,
and the Agent is busy talking, and the application shuts down without
closing help first --> Access violation.
Calling HH_API command HH_CLOSE_ALL before shutdown does not help.
Attempting to terminating Agent before shutdown does not help.
HH API DLL and Agent DLL are sharing the same address space as the
application. You should separate Application and Help into two separate
processes. To do this launch help via HH.EXE. For finer control use
KeyHH.EXE available free from http://keyworks.net/.
KeyHH.EXE is single instance and supports such nuances as context calls,
KeyWords and ALinks.