Last Update: V1.4.6, 2:30am,
20-Nov-2009 (EST Australia)
Last Beta Update: No beta available at this time
* See Change Notes below
See Also: | MS Help H2 Info Page |
FAR Home Page |
- H2Viewer is an MS Help 2.x collection viewer similar to DExplore
(DExplore is the MS viewer used by VS .NET, MSDN, TechNet etc).
- H2Viewer has the same MS Help 2 API backend as DExplore.
- H2Viewer has been extracted from our product
FAR HTML because of numerous requests for a standalone viewer.
- H2Viewer has numerous command-line parameters and a COM interface. The
command-line options include a single instance feature.
See also our
End-User License Agreement
Q. Can I ship H2Viewer with my product?
A. Yes (with permission). But why would you want to?
H2Viewer depends on the same DLLs (runtime API files) that
ship with DExplore.
So why not just use DExplore?
More info on getting H2 runtime installed.
Q. How compatible is H2Viewer with Microsoft's DExplore?
A. H2Viewer relies on the same H2 API calls and ActiveX TOC and Index controls.
Q. MS Agent reader appears but wont speak?
A. For windows XP you will need to install
4.0 (Speech API).
Q. H2Viewer sometimes locks up for several minuets. Can you fix this?
A. When a collection is loaded for the first time or loaded after a change
is made to the collection you will see a message followed by
a long delay
as Windows rebuilds Index and lookup tables. This is part of
MS Help 2 not
under our control. Have a cup of coffee and come back in 5
Q. Search results are truncated at 500 items?
A. This a limitation of MS Help 2 not the viewer. MS are working on a solution.
Q. Filters are great but take so long to edit and change. Can I speed this up?
A. Again it is a limitation of MS Help 2. Computers will get faster and MS will
improve it over time.
Q. Sometimes when I plug-in a collection using my authoring tool the TOC
A. The TOC disappearing tells you that the collection you are authoring is not
syntactically correct. Read our online tutorial and try comparing your collection
with our demo collection:
Q. How do I create MS Help 2 content.
A. We offer a shareware product called
FAR HTML. It contains Wizards to
get you going quickly.
Our product H2Reg
allows you to quickly register H2 collections at installation time.
- 2003-03-09: V0.0.1.0 -- First release.
- 2003-04-19: V126.96.36.199 -- Promote beta to full version.
- 2003-06-15: V188.8.131.52 -- Added 3 new commands (cmd-line and COM
Interface): Index(), Search(), PageTab(). Also added "Export Index as Text" to
- 2003-07-31: V184.108.40.206 -- Fixed copy to clipboard from browser
control. Added /XNav command line option. This means you can now use /helpcol
cmd line switch in every call and H2Viewer will not reload a collection if it
is already loaded.
- 2003-08-26: V220.127.116.11 -- Fix agent reader. Version 1.2.0 had stopped
agent reader from working correctly.
- 2003-09-05: V18.104.22.168 -- Fixed corrupted H2 TOC and Index component
which causing "unspecified error" on start up in 1.2.2.
- 2003-10-14: V22.214.171.124 -- Compiled with an
older version of 3rd party component for more stability especially during
New: Reader menu now gives access to all installed MS Speech API
Text-To-Speech engines. More variety and control of voice.
Browser Stop button also stops the speech.
- 2003-10-15: V126.96.36.199 -- Now checks for MS
Help 2 runtime being installed before opening the window.
- 2003-12-06: V188.8.131.52 -- Fix: Under Windows 98 a OleInitialize failure message appeared at startup.
- 2004-06-23: V184.108.40.206 -- Fix: Using COM if you connect and
immediately do a WindowShow=1 in the Compiler IDE you would get catastrophic
- 2004-07-11: V220.127.116.11 -- A file Settings.ini can be setup to
substitute individual words read during text-to-speech. Better solution for
1.3.3 bug: When connecting to the H2Viewer COM server, you should now poll
Obj.WindowHandle until it becomes non-zero, indicating the H2Viewer window is
initialized and ready to accept commands. Also by default the Navigation pane
(left) is initially closed, but will open automatically to the TOC when a
Collection is loaded. This works better for users who simply want to drop on a
web page (say http://safaribooksonline.com/) and read via text-to-speech.
- 2005-02-26 V18.104.22.168 -- Fix search result highlighting in the
- 2009-11-20 V22.214.171.124 -- Now Unicode application. Text-To-Speech
now works on Vista and Windows 7.
- 2010-07-15 V126.96.36.199 -- Now in proper install. Also uploaded
to VS Gallery.